Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday Night Supper Club- Tomato and Basil Soup

Caroline Rosen Black & White Photography- The Boy I tricked into marrying me


Friends,

Another day and another meal to make. There was a time when I lived in two fabulous cities, New Orleans and Washington DC. There was constant movement and meeting, going to happy hour here and a late dinner there.. but times change and you make the best of it. I'm currently living in Tuscaloosa Alabama, which is the mecca for all things college football, but seriously lacks in all things not deep fried. Don't get me wrong, I love something deep fried as much as the next true Southerner, but there comes a time when you just want a delicious meal that takes more thought than throwing it in oil.

So, with my move to this small special town, I've embarked on my journey on learning how to cook. And I must say, it is quite delightful. At first I was hesitant because I was constantly saying, "How could I cook anything as delicious as Jacquimos?" and "nothing will ever top those mini burger bites of sunshine from matchbox"  but i've found if you start small you can actually make wonderful things that more than satisfy your palate and sense of accomplishment.

As we found other friends in Tuscaloosa that yearned for more than the current food offerings in the city  (and also had a mutual love for the TV show Hard Knocks) we formed our Wednesday night supper club. It's comprised of that boy I tricked into marrying me, my brother, and four friends of ours. We rotate weekly so we take turns every third week cooking. It's been a great reason to get excited to cook.. and experience what everyone else is cooking as well. Even if you are still in the hustle and bustle of a big city, it's always nice to find a few friends to cook with one night of the week.. and enjoy television programming of your choice.


On to the main course-  tonight we bring you homemade tomato basil soup.

Now, if you are a soup person, like myself, you can easily make this soup into your whole meal with a quick side salad or bread. I'm not kidding guys, this is TO DIE FOR. It reminds me of the delicious soup at La Madeline. A mainstay of mine (and my good friends at ABC) on M street in Washington DC.. and the only chain Emily Starkey has accidentally ever loved.


Tomato Basil Soup

Ingredients
42 oz Canned Whole Tomatoes (1 28 oz and 1 14 oz can)
1 Vidalia onion chopped (around 1 cup)
6 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons whipping cream - (you can also throw some milk in if you have that)
1 teaspoon salt (after that salt to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper


Directions
o Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan
o Add chopped onion and garlic and saut̩ for 4 Р5 minutes, stirring occasionally
o Drain tomatoes then add to onion and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and bring to boil
o Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes
o Pour tomato mixture into a blender, add basil leaves, whipping cream, salt and
pepper.
o Puree until smooth


With just a few ingredients and a blend or two.. you have a fabulous easy to make soup!

ENJOY!

See y'all tomorrow,

Caroline





1 comment:

  1. Yummy Yummy Yummy!! That looks like something I can do. Brent looks mighty cute in the picture!
    -Maggie Jones

    ReplyDelete